Apex Environmental, LLC
Jefferson County, OH
- Air Compliance and Permitting
- Greenhouse Gas Reporting
- Erosion & Sedimentation Control/NPDES
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Site Grading/Earthwork Analysis
- Aquatic & Terrestrial Habitat Surveys
- Wetland & Stream Mitigation Design
- Wetlands & Waters Delineations
- Auditing and Compliance Plans
- Environmental Management Systems
- Groundwater Monitoring and Assessment
- Construction Quality Assurance
- Environmental Monitoring/Compliance
- Hydrogeologic Site Investigations
- Landfill Design and Permitting
- Landfill Gas Management
- Leachate Management and Treatment
- Landfill Gas to Energy Permitting
- Merger & Acquisition Due Diligence
- Site Selection and Characterization
- Solid Waste Facility Operations Audits and
- Topographic and Volumetric Surveys
- Unmanned Aerial Services
- GPS/GIS Services
Apex Environmental, LLC (Apex) operates a large municipal solid waste landfill that is served by an integrated network of rail transfer stations owned by the company. The landfill is also served by truck and is one of the largest landfills in Ohio as measured by annual tonnage received and permitted airspace.
CEC has continuously worked on this project since 2003. Services provided include preparing two separate landfill expansion permit applications: one for a vertical expansion and one for a contiguous expansion. The applications included significant hydrogeologic and geotechnical investigations and landfill design to optimize excavation and airspace efficiency. CEC provided wetland and stream delineations and state and federal permitting to mitigate impacts to the wetlands and streams. CEC also prepared the air permit applications required for the expansions, including the state and Title V permit applications.
CEC prepares construction documents for the constructed cells, surface water management, leachate management, and gas extraction systems. CEC provides soil and geosynthetics prequalification, construction monitoring for soils and geosynthetics construction, and certification surveys. CEC prepares the construction documentation reports.
CEC provides consulting services related to site development planning, site surveying, and airspace utilization. CEC provides site monitoring services, including groundwater monitoring, explosive gas monitoring, and surface emissions monitoring. CEC also prepares the compliance reporting related to the NPDES, air, and solid waste permits.
CEC assisted Apex in managing an elevated temperature gas extraction well, including the necessary field and laboratory sampling, reporting, and gas well operations to successfully mitigate the high-temperature well. The site is also a permitted limestone quarry. CEC prepared the permitting associated with the limestone mining. CEC also demonstrated that the on-site mine spoil could provide the required low permeability soil layer in the liner and cap system, resulting in huge cost savings to Apex.