Sustainable solutions… For your business and the environment
For your project to succeed, it’s critical to manage environmental liabilities, regulatory obligations, risk management, and environmental stewardship. We provide the expertise and support to help you stay on target.
CEC brings together a coordinated team of experienced engineers, scientists, geologists, hydrogeologists, and technicians with the expertise to develop realistic solutions for your most challenging environmental issues.
Addressing your most complex environmental issues
We provide a comprehensive array of services in the areas of environmental due diligence, remedial investigations and actions, hydrogeology, and regulatory compliance.
Our due diligence services, including Phase I Environmental Site Assessments (ESAs) and Property Condition Assessments (PCAs), can identify environmental liabilities that may impact a property’s value, site liability costs, or your ability to sell or lease the property.
Remedial Investigations and Actions
With a focus on protecting human health and the environment, we provide comprehensive site investigation and remediation services. We identify practical remediation technologies for hazard mitigation, negotiate remediation programs with regulators, and implement remedial plans to obtain site closure certifications. We work with commercial and industrial clients, as well as community and economic development agencies to assess, remediate, and redevelop properties and Superfund sites. Several projects have received regional and national recognition.
Applying a full range of groundwater investigation, assessment, and remediation services, we provide practical solutions to groundwater resource evaluations and contamination problems. By using tools such as advanced statistical analysis and computer groundwater modeling, we evaluate the feasibility of established and innovative remedial techniques to achieve cost-effective site cleanups.
To help you meet the requirements of RCRA, CERCLA, CWA, CAA, TSCA, SDWA, and OSHA, as well as state and local requirements, we audit corporate environmental health and safety programs for compliance. We focus on key compliance and liability issues, presenting our findings and providing our recommendations to correct the identified issues.
Your CEC Expert:
Thomas Maher, P.G.
Environmental Engineering and Sciences Lead
(412) 249-3135Read Bio
Thomas Maher, P.G.
Mr. Maher is a Vice President and the corporate leader of CEC’s Environmental Engineering and Sciences practice. He has more than 33 years of experience in leading site investigation and remediation projects and performing environmental permitting, Phase I and II environmental site assessments, and compliance support for industrial facilities. These project have included RCRA Corrective Action facility investigations and corrective measures implementations, CERCLA (Superfund) Remedial Investigations/Feasibility Studies and remediations, Polychlorinated Biphenal investigations and remediations, waste characterization and compliance, residual waster beneficial-use approvals, Oil & Gas-related investigations and remediations, environmental site assessments, industrial wastewater and stormwater NPDES permitting, Underground Storage Tank (UST) and Aboveground Storage Tank (AST) permitting and installation, detailed environmental regulatory compliance audits, environmental plan preparation (SWPP, SPCC, PPC), and environmental regulatory submittals (Form R and biennial hazardous waste reports) for manufacturing and natural gas E&P companies. Mr. Maher’s geotechnical experience includes design and monitoring subsurface investigations for residential, commercial, and industrial developments; geotechnical report preparation including conclusions and recommendations for shallow and deep foundations, earthwork, floor slabs, pavement, retaining walls, mine subsidence risk reduction, groundwater and surface water control, cut and fill slopes, infiltration basins, sedimentation basins, cement-bentonite slurry, and other barrier walls.
Area of Expertise
- Phase I Environmental Site Assessments
- Property Condition Assessments
- Environmental Liability Assessments
- Ecological & Human Risk Assessments & Modeling
- Risk Screening
- Litigation Support
- Natural Resource Assessments
- Regulated Materials Surveys
- Phase II Environmental Site Assessments
- Remedial Investigations
- Site Characterization
- Site Rehabilitation
- Groundwater Condition Characterization
- Data Acquisition and Analysis
- Regulatory Interface & Risk Management Assistance
- Alternatives Analyses, Risk Assessments & Remedial Design
- Sampling & Characterization of Affected Media
- Soil & Groundwater Sampling and Investigations
- Superfund Site Remedial Designs
- Brownfield Redevelopment Services
- RCRA/CERCLA Feasibility Studies
- Grant Application Preparation and Amendment Assistance
- Asbestos and Lead Abatement
- Soil & Groundwater Remediation
- Contaminant Fate & Transport Analysis
- Spill Containment Design and Construction
- Waste Treatment, Disposal & Transportation Coordination
- Site Closure Certification
- Decommissioning of Storage Tank Facilities
- Groundwater Monitoring & Assessment
- Hydrogeologic Investigations, Exploration & Assessment
- Aquifer Testing & Evaluation
- Groundwater Studies
- Groundwater Flow and Solute Transport Modeling
- Monitoring Well Network Design & Installation
- Well-field Siting and Expansion Projects
- Well-field Evaluation Studies
- Well-head Protection Plans & Studies
- Pumping Well and Network Design
- Large-Scale Pumping Tests
- Auditing & Compliance Plans
- Permit & Regulatory Compliance Status
- Environmental Compliance Audits & Hazard Assessments
- Hazardous Material Surveys
- RCRA, CERCLA, CWA, CAA, TSCA, SDWA, OSHA, and State/Local Requirement Compliance
- Stormwater Sampling & Permitting
- NPDES Permitting Support
- Environmental Management Systems Development
- Environmental Policy Development
- Preparation of Health & Safety Plans
- Storage Tank Permitting & Closure Documentation
- Monitoring Plans
- Spill Contingency Plans
- Overfill Protection Design
Our Environmental Training Courses program was created to educate and keep individuals in the industrial/commercial community up to date on regulatory programs that affect them. The program covers the basic needs of attendees in the regulatory areas of air, water, and waste management compliance. Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are available to those who complete these courses.
- Air Permitting Basics
- EPCRA Regulations
- Introduction to Environmental Regulations
- Maintaining Compliance for Oil & Gas Operations
- RCRA & Solid Waste Regulations
- Water Quality Regulations & Permits
For a complete list of all CEC Environmental Training Courses, their dates and locations, please visit our Events page.